It is summer and that means berries! Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, most people love them all. But one of everyone’s favorites is blueberries. It’s something about their fresh, not too sweet flavor that makes them perfect for anything from muffins to smoothies.
This recipe combines two favorite ingredients: blueberries and cream cheese. You could use strawberries as well. Blueberries are preferred because they blend well with cream cheese and cinnamon. The vanilla adds an extra level of flavor.
This is a very easy recipe to adapt to just about any fruit you want. Using the Steam Shell Griddle gives these sandwiches the look and taste of French Toast without the mess and extra calories. Play around. Tweak it. Make it your own! Let us know how it turns out.
Makes 4 Griddle Sandwiches
8 slices of white sandwich bread
1 8oz package softened cream cheese
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter
1 pint (16 oz) fresh blueberries (rinse your berries well and look for stems or really mushy berries)
Powdered sugar (optional)
How To Make Griddle Sandwiches:
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until you have a smooth, soft spread.
- Use half of the cream cheese mixture and spread it evenly on one side of each of four slices of bread.
- Turn the griddle to low medium heat.
- Melt the butter and place the slices of the bread with the cream cheese mixture side up on the griddle.
- Put as many blueberries as you can fit on each slice of bread. You should be able to use all of them between the four slices. It’s a lot, but it is worth it.
- Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture on the last four slices of bread.
- Place these on top of the blueberries, sandwiching the blueberries between the two layers of cream cheese.
- Cook for 2 minutes at medium to low heat on each side or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.