Creating quick, healthy and simple dishes during the week can be a daunting task. People often avoid taking the time to prepare their food in advance because of the time constraints it entails: defrosting, washing produce and chopping ingredients. These shrimp tacos are the perfect solution to get out of the take-out rut. This dish will replace the craving for deep-fried fish and shrimp tacos by instead steaming the shrimp and keeping them nice and juicy. The griddle cooks the shrimp in just under two minutes which will make this a weekly go-to recipe!
Guilt-Free Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa (Serves 5)
SHRIMP AND MARINADE
- 1 pound of medium size shrimp (about 20-25 shrimp)–thawed, peeled, deveined and tails off
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp. Key lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ripe mango— chopped
- ½ red onion— finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper— finely chopped
- Juice of 2-3 key limes
- 1 jalapeño— finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
EXTRA INGREDIENTS AND TOPPINGS
- 5 corn tortillas
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 avocado- sliced
Steps for cooking your shrimp tacos:
- Place shrimp on paper towels to make sure there is no excess liquid.
- Mix the garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lime juice, and olive oil in a large bowl until well combined; add shrimp and toss until all pieces are well coated in the marinade. Set aside for a quick marinade while making the salsa.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chopped mango, onion, peppers, lime juice, salt, and pepper until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Heat your griddle to a medium-high temperature and add your shrimp. Stay close by as all of the shrimp will cook in 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Once the shrimp are cooked through, place in a separate bowl.
- Place the corn tortillas on the griddle for 30 seconds to heat through and soften.
- To assemble the taco place the tortilla on a plate, add 3-4 shrimp, add the mango salsa, top with avocado slices and a drizzle of Mexican crema or sour cream.
Eat and enjoy the shrimp tacos without the guilt of deep frying!
Please feel free to contact us for more information.