A grilled cheese sandwich is the quintessential quick lunch that can be fixed in minutes. A ham and cheese sandwich is also a great, fast way to have lunch. The following recipe combines both of these convenient but delicious meals into something that is greater than the sum of their parts. Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches make for a delicious and nourishing lunch.
- Eight slices of bread
- Six tablespoons of softened butter
- Yellow Mustard to taste
- Three tablespoons of fine parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon of onion powder
- Four ounces of brie cheese with the rind cut off and sliced into four slices
- Four slices of smoked ham
- One-half cup of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- One-half cup of shredded Monterey jack cheese
- One-half cup of shredded Gruyere cheese
- Use half of the butter and apply it to one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Turn the griddle to medium-high heat and place each of the slices of bread butter side down and grill until golden brown, about two to three minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Gruyere.
- In another bowl combine the rest of the butter, mustard, parmesan cheese, and onion powder.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding the brie slices, the smoked ham slices, and the cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere mix on top of the toasted side of four of the bread slices and then put the remaining four bread slices toasted side down.
- Spread the butter, mustard, parmesan, and onion powder mixture on the outside of each assembled sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches on the griddle and toast on each side, about five to six minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately, perhaps with a side dish of chips or fruit. A good, tall glass of iced tea goes very well with this delicious hot sandwich lunch.
For more information contact us.