There is nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich as a quick midday meal to keep the hunger pangs away. A little preparation and planning can make grilled cheese sandwiches into something of a healthy meal for you and your family.
- Eight slices of sourdough bread
- Eight strips of bacon
- Four slices of red onions
- A package of shredded lettuce
- A jar of salsa
- Four slices of cheddar cheese
- Four slices of Monterey jack cheese
- Olive oil
- Coat the griddle with olive oil and turn on high.
- Cook the onion slices for a couple of minutes on each side, remove and reserve.
- Cook the bacon strips until they are crispy, about five to eight minutes on each side, remove and reserve.
- Use a silicone spatula to scrape the bacon grease off the griddle and into the oil reserve.
- Put a slice of each kind of cheese on each slice of sourdough bread. Stack the cooked bacon, cooked onions, salsa, and lettuce on one slice then put the other slice on top. Coat the outside of each bread slice with olive oil.
- Grill the sandwiches on the griddle, two to three minutes on each side. The process will melt the cheese and bind the sandwich. Remove, plate, slice and serve.
- The sandwiches are just fine as a complete meal. However, if you want something to go along with it, a small cup of tomato or chicken noodle soup will serve. Fruit, such as a bunch of grapes or an apple, will help balance out the meal. A scoop of ice cream works pretty well if you also want a dessert.
You can add iced tea for a drink, which can be bought at the store these days in one-gallon jugs, though home-brewed works even better if you have the leisure time. If you have small children, a glass of milk will also work to help nourish bones and teeth.
For more information contact us.