Fajitas are just made for a hot griddle, as it turns out. Here follows a recipe for beef fajitas that will please anyone. The dish is very versatile since it can be served with a number of toppings inside a tortilla. Fajitas have been a staple of Mexican eateries for decades and, with a little preparation, can be easily cooked for a family meal.
- One and a half to two pounds of skirt steak or flank steak
- Two yellow onions
- One green bell pepper
- One red bell pepper
- One-quarter cup of lime juice
- One-third cup of water
- Half teaspoon of liquid smoke
- Two teaspoons of soy sauce
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Four crushed garlic cloves of garlic or powdered equivalent
- One teaspoon of salt
- One-half teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- One-half teaspoon of black pepper
- One teaspoon of cumin
- One teaspoon of chili powder
- One package of flour tortillas
- One container of sour cream
- One package of shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Pico de Gallo to taste
- Shredded lettuce or alternately, romaine, kale, and/or spinach
- Combine lime juice, water, liquid smoke, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to make a marinade.
- Pour mixture over skirt steak after poking it with a fork at various points.
- Refrigerate steak in marinade overnight.
- Heat griddle on the high setting with a coating of olive oil.
- Slice onions and bell peppers into small strips.
- Cook onions and bell peppers on griddle until soft, about five or so minutes, then set aside.
- Cook skirt steak about five to seven minutes on each side.
- Slice skirt steak into small strips.
- Serve cooked skirt steak, onions, and bell peppers with tortillas and toppings.
Iced tea or lemonade go great with this dish.
Note, this recipe works just as well with the equivalent amount of boneless chicken breast or tilapia fish. With fish, cook two to three minutes on each side. If you do not want to go to the bother of making a marinade, some premixed versions are available at the supermarket.
For more information contact us.