Eggplant has gotten a bad rap for a number of reasons. In folklore, it is considered poisonous, which is partly true when the leaves or tubers are concerned, though the fruit is often used in a number of dishes. Raw, eggplant can have a bitter taste but can absorb other ingredients to give it a splendid taste. It is used in a variety of dishes around the world, including Asian and Italian, but it can be the center of just about any meal.
Eggplant is called that because 18th century Europeans discovered a variety that was the color, size, and shape of goose eggs rather than the large, purple ones that we know today.
Griddle Eggplant Ingredients
- Four medium eggplants
- One egg
- One cup of flour
- One tsp. salt
- One-half tsp. black pepper
- One-half tsp. garlic powder
- One tsp. onion powder
- Olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel the eggplant.
- Slice it into quarter-inch round slices and sprinkle lightly with salt. Then stack the slices between two sandwich plates. Cover the bottom plate with a folded paper towel.
- This squeezes out the juices. The juice of it gives it a bitter taste. After the slices have been pressed for about 30 minutes, dispose of the juice-soaked paper towel.
- While the slices are being pressed, mix the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Rinse and dry off the slices.
- Dip each slice in beaten, raw egg.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour mixture.
- Coat the griddle with olive oil and turn to medium-high heat.
- Cook the eggplant for about two minutes on each side until golden brown
- Set aside on a dinner plate that is covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Sprinkle each layer of fried eggplant slices with the Parmesan cheese and serve.
Eggplant on the griddle can be either a main dish for a vegetarian meal or a side dish with lasagna or spaghetti.
The fried eggplant can also be used in a sandwich. For a sandwich, toast some slices of bread or buns on the griddle, spread mayonnaise, and stack the fruit with tomatoes, lettuce or spinach, slices of grilled bell pepper, and cheese slices.
Serve the eggplant from the griddle along with French fries, green beans, or some other veggies. Iced tea or lemonade go very well with any dish, but for a splendid lunch or dinner pair with a white zinfandel.
Contact the American Griddle Company today for more information on our line of steam griddles.