What Americans know as the Italian sausage consists of ground pork, flavored with fennel or anise, in a thin casing. In a typical supermarket, Italian sausages come in mild, hot (with red pepper flakes) or sweet (with sweet basil) added for flavor.
A great way to cook Italian sausages is by putting them on the griddle along with some onions and peppers. Here follows a recipe for Italian sausage cooked on a griddle.
- One package of Italian sausage, about one pound.
- One large yellow or white onion.
- One red pepper.
- One green pepper.
- Slice the sausage into three to four segments each per link.
- Slice the onion and cut the slices into quarters.
- Slice and core the red and green peppers, discarding cores and seeds.
- Oil and heat the griddle to high. Put the mix of sausages, onions, and peppers on the griddle and cook, flipping the sausages over periodically until they are browned on all sides, about two minutes, and then reduce heat and allow them to cook thoroughly about 15 minutes,
- Serve the confection on top of a bowl of pasta or rice and then toss, so that the sausage, onions, and peppers are mixed in completely. Some people will add a pesto or a wine sauce, but the dish works just as well as is.
- Serve with a green salad, some garlic toast, and a bottle of your favorite wine.
Note: some cooks will add garlic cloves or hotter versions of peppers, such as jalapeno, to the mix.
About the American Griddle Corporation: American Griddle’s patented Steam Shell Technology has revolutionized the food service industry. By utilizing Steam Shell Technology, foods can be cooked with uniform temperatures, creating better tasting and more consistent results. Products are cooked from the top and bottom simultaneously, retaining all of the natural moisture and flavors that make your food taste great. Users experience benefits not seen in traditional electric griddles, such as consistent and faster cook times, no cross-flavoring and instant recovery. For more information contact us.